Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Blushing Bride






When my friends get married I try hard to make them a lap quilt using their wedding colors.  My friend that's getting married next month is having an outdoor  "country chic" wedding at a winery.  Her main colors are neutrals-- beiges, whites, creams, grays-- and blush pinks with citrus accents.  So I pulled fabric from my stash and decided on a jelly roll race quilt so that I could truly let go of planning the color layout.  I love the surprise of seeing how a jelly roll race quilt turns out.

I cut the strips 2.75" wide though so that the quilt would end up 72" long, and did around 48 strips WOF so the quilt ended up being more around 65" wide.   I found a beige and pink tulip print for the back.  The couple loves to bike ride, so I was happy to have 3 different bicycle prints that worked in their color palate.  Ever since my Penny Patch quilt I have become obsessed with cross-hatch quilting, these lines are 4" apart which is nice, but I think I prefer 2" spacing.  I still need to embroider a label on the back but that shouldn't take too long!  

Sunday, April 13, 2014

FAL 2014 Quarter 2

I missed out last quarter, but I found the Finish Along (FAL) to be a great motivation to get projects finished. So here I am linking up for the 2nd Quarter of the 2014 FAL!

#1 is my Swiss Cross quilt that's been in the making since Jan 2013.  Its an extra large queen, maybe a king sized quilt for my husband.  I would really love to get this finished this quarter!!!  I need to make a few more crosses, add a top and bottom border, and I'll be sending this out to be quilted.

#2 is my son's growth chart.  This still needs to have all its quilting ripped out, redone, bound, and all his height info embroidered on it!

#3 is my baby star quilt.  Needs to be basted, quilted, bound.  Then I need a baby to give it too!

#4 is my starburst picnic blanket.  Needs to be basted with some green duck fabric for the back, quilted, and maybe some sewn in ties to keep it together when in my trunk :)

#5 is a pillow case for my son based off of a design from NanaCompany.

#6 is an Easter basket for my son.  The pattern is the Noodlehead Divided Basket with my own handle added to make carrying the basket easier during egg hunts :)

What are you working on!?

Friday, February 14, 2014

The Royal Rumble… aka Scrap Vomit

Have you ever seen a quilt and then dreamt about it because you wanted to make it so badly?!  Well that's what happened to me when I saw the scrap vomit quilt over on  Katy's blog.  I poured over the tutorial and started cutting my scraps into many 2.5" squares.  

So I began sewing the blocks and soon realized this was going to take a long time if I was going to be so choosey about which print went where.  I have a problem that even when I make a scrappy or improve quilt I can't quite let go completely.  What appears as randomness is actually quite thought out. So this quilt was a good lesson in letting go if I ever planned to finish this thing in a timely manner.  I think I started this quilt around June 2012 :)

The quilt measures 98" square and everything is scrappy with the exception of the solid black in the diamonds and the backing.  I ran out of gray for inside the diamonds so I used up a solid blue from my stash, and luckily it created a good secondary design element!  I gave myself a break with the back and ordered 108" wide red polkadot fabric.  I quilted on the diagonal in one direction through every square since there are so many seams. 

When I explained to my husband that it was all out of scraps from previous projects he proclaimed "So it's like a royal rumble… you better keep this one." So that's how it got named and how it's now on our guest bed :)  

This was a labor of love and to be honest, I'm still shocked it's finished!  

Linking up with Finish It Up Friday and Making For Me.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Robot Drawstring Bags

These two bags were made for a friend's boys as a thank you for all the hand-me-downs she gives us! The bag was dual purpose in that it served as gift wrap and a way for the boys to keep all their Legos together after opening.

I used Jeni's Drawstring Bag pattern and made the artist size.  For gift wrapping reference, the car Lego box (above right) fits perfectly within the bag with the drawstring fully closing.  With the firetruck Lego box I was only able to partially close the drawstring but it still worked!  The pattern was so clear and these were really fun to make.

I love to personalize gifts so I chose to make a patchwork initial for each boy's bag. I love that the pixel style letters fit with the robot fabric. Picking coordinating solids and prints to make the bags was so fun and now I'm dreaming up bags for myself :)